Masdar City is the first global cleantech cluster to be located in one of the most sustainable cities in the world. It is home to the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology and the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).
The six-sq km city, located near Abu Dhabi International Airport and 17km from downtown Abu Dhabi, is emerging as a global centre for the sale, marketing, servicing and demonstration of renewable energy and sustainability technologies, as well as research and development, and investment in these fields.
As a business cluster, Masdar City provides firms with an environment that inspires innovation, offers business development opportunities, provides a living lab and test bed for new technologies, encourages informal knowledge sharing among like-minded professionals and serves as a magnet for world-class cleantech talent.
The city is home to numerous companies, from Fortune 500 multinationals to start-ups and the most cutting-edge technology firms, bringing these businesses close to fast-growing markets of the Middle East North Africa and Asia regions.
A one-stop shop for companies in the sector, Masdar City, provides quick and easy setup, without the need for a local sponsor.
Some of the most advanced laboratories in the region are located at Masdar Institute, and the presence of this graduate-level research institute offers opportunities to pilot and test new technologies and ideas. The Institute, the world’s first graduate university focused on renewable energy and cleantech, provides a steady stream of some of the best graduates anywhere in the sector.
At Masdar City, companies can:
- Showcase technologies
- Use the city as a test bed for new ideas
- Undertake research in collaboration with the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology
- Set up headquarters or regional sales and marketing offices
- Establish research and development facilities
- Offer goods and services for use in designing and building Masdar City
- Tap into the large, lucrative and growing markets for cleantech products and services in the Gulf, wider Middle East, and Asia
Where is it located?
Masdar City Free Zone
Post Box 54115
Near Presidential Flight / Abu Dhabi International Airport
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
T: +971 2 653 3333
F: +971 2 653 1006
Describe the kind of businesses here?
- Renewable Energy
- Clean Tech & ICT
- Marketing and Events
- Human Resources Development
- Energy Industry
- Healthcare Services
- Service Providers
- Property Development Services
- Regional Head Quarters, Trading and Holding Companies
- Business Centre and Data Centres
- Community Services (Retail, Food and Beverage outlets) Oil and Gas Services
What is the cost of setting up business here?
Companies operating in Masdar City do so by the Masdar City Companies Registration Regulations. Masdar City facilitates quick and straightforward incorporation services to businesses, allowing them one of the following three types of legal structure:
- A Free Zone Limited Liability Company with corporate and individual shareholders
- A Branch of a foreign/offshore company
- A Branch of a UAE-based company (including companies incorporated in other UAE Free Zones)
Masdar City also provides companies with some licensing tariff options. Depending on the company’s activities and financial plan, one can choose from the following licensing tariff options.
|Package||No. of Activities||License Fee|
|Mid – Range||5||15,000|
|Wide – Range||10||20,000|
|UAE Nationals & Khalifa Fund||5||10,000|
All prices in AED
- Association (Non-Profit Organization): AED 10,000
- Single Activity from General Segments (1.11, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3): AED 10,000
- License Tariff fee is capped at maximum 15 activities per License, from all segments: AED 30,000
- All Tariff Fees are on an annual basis
What are the advantages of setting up here?
One of the most sustainable cities in the world, the approximately six sq km Masdar City is an emerging global clean-technology cluster that places its resident companies in the heart of the global renewable energy and cleantech industry.
As Masdar City is widely recognized as one of the world’s most exciting eco-developments, it is also a Free Zone located near Abu Dhabi International Airport and 17km from downtown Abu Dhabi. Masdar City offers clients
Exceptional value proposition such as:
- 100% foreign ownership
- 100% exemption from corporate and personal income taxes
- 0% import tariffs
- Quick and easy set-up with a ‘One-Stop Shop’ for registration, government relations, and visa processing
- Freedom of repatriation of both capital and profits
- One of the world’s most beautiful, sustainable living and working business clusters
- Launching point into local, regional and international markets
- A critical mass of sector knowledge and talent
- R&D Hub is partnering with Masdar Institute
- Highly cost-effective licensing and office space
- Proximity to Abu Dhabi International Airport, Khalifa City, Yas Island, and just 40 minutes away from Dubai
These business-friendly features are complemented by Masdar City’s state-of-the-art technology infrastructure, world-class facilities, and liberal investment regulations creating a favorable environment for companies to conduct business freely.
As a Free Zone, Masdar City offers following benefits:
- Speedy and easy setup registration and licensing process
- No taxes or customs duty for import and export
- No personal and corporate tax
- No restrictions on capital repatriation and profits
- 100% foreign ownership of companies
- No currency restrictions
- Companies can hire staff from other countries
- A stable and pleasant working environment
- High quality of living standards
- Well established logistics network including air, sea, and road
Describe the kind of businesses her
- Water and Waste Water
- Energy Generation
- Air and Environment
- Energy Storage
- Energy Transmission and Distribution
- Energy Efficiency Equipment’s
- Recycling and Solid Waste
- Green Building
- Regional Headquarters
- Organic Products
- Non-Profit Organization
- Cleantech and ICT
- Business Information
- Human Resources Development
- Service Providers
What are the procedures for establishing a business here?
Setting up a business in Masdar City requires planning and decision making through different phases. This procedure involves deciding the business activity and confirming with Masdar City, preparation of the comprehensive business plan, choosing a legal structure for business, estimating required human work force, etc. The business registration or licensing process can be completed only after depositing the minimum capital mandated by the Masdar City in a bank account. A company being formed may have either an individual shareholder or corporate shareholder or both. The incorporation process requires the shareholders to sign the documents in the presence of Masdar City representatives.
What is the distance from various landmarks to this location?
Masdar City to Airport – 129 Km
Masdar City to Downtown – 120 Km